Monday 4 August 2008

Rides in Devon

My First 100 miler

I did this ride in trainers in the summer of 1990. I probably had my Z kit on with PDM track mitts. First of all I rode down to a friends in Chawleigh with some other friends. After some food they headed back, but I headed to Exmoor via Tiverton. I had some Kendal mint cake with me, but that was about it, and that ran out around Exford. I remember managing to reset the bike computer on one of the descents by getting into one of those aero tucks you see the pros doing coming off the Tourmalet or wherever. When I got near Lynton Cross I had completely blown, so I had a lie down in the hedge. A car came past, jammed on its brakes and reversed - the driver asking me if I was OK. I said I was fine, but really should have asked for some food. I managed to get to Knowle and went in the garage to feast on crisps, coke and chocolate - even though I only lived about 2 miles away.



Bike route 278214 - powered by Bikemap 



Lynton Cross

This used to be a great little ride, short enough to fit in after the Tour finished on Channel 4 at 7pm but with an alpinesque climb to make the ride worth it. You can do it either way, but I preferred going up to Lynton Cross via Muddiford as its a nicer climb. I used to try and do it under the hour, but traffic lights in Barnstaple often put paid to that.


Bike route 268098 - powered by Bikemap


Ifracombe

This is a variation on the Lynton Cross ride but involves going down into Ilfracombe. I didnt do it that often because the road down into Ilfracombe isnt that nice, but the climb out - 'two pots - is a classic. The descent down Cemetery Hill into Georgeham is pretty tricky, and the little climb out of Croyde around to Saunton always reminds me of the Poggio in Milan-San Remo, even though its only about half a mile.



Bike route 268102 - powered by Bikemap


Exmoor

I did this ride with Kevin Hunt when we were both in the Barnstaple Imperial Wheelers. It must have been around the summer of 1994/5. The climb up to Bratton Fleming is hard. I used it for interval training for a while to do short hard rides in my lunch time whilst working in Tarka Trail Cycle Hire - it must have worked because I did some good times afterwards. This ride was great, right across the spine of Exmoor and into Minehead then Porlock. We werent stupid enough to ride up Porlock hill so went up the toll road instead which is great, just like an alpine climb with hairpins, the lot. Then a mental descent into Lynmouth and back up past Watersmeet. A pretty good day.


Bike route 269305 - powered by Bikemap

No comments:

Post a Comment