Monday 4 August 2008

Rides in Wales

The Gower

When I lived in Swansea most of my cycling was spent on the Gower. There were great roads and climbs to keep you occupied. If you really wanted you get about 50 miles out of it but still always be close to Swansea in case you blew up. Most of the time I'd head out along the north Gower road and back along the south road. This was better than the other way round because you'd start off along on flat roads and hit some drags towards the end that you could power up. You'd get a headwind to start with, but I find that preferable. The descent down into Parkmill is good, although a bit twitchy at the top and the climb out is pretty cool. I once dropped Louise Jones coming up there on a reliability ride. Id spent most of my time moving up from group to group because I was at the back when the group split in traffic lights on the way up to fforestfach. I caught up with LJs group after coming over Reynoldstone - that is another good climb, where I first went over 50mph on my bike: it was a bit scary because I came round a corner and a sheep was in the middle of the road. Anyway, I got into the group and missed a turn at which point old LJ went nuts. So I decided to do some pretty hard turns instead and left them behind. Coming back into Swansea there are allsorts of options - like going down into Caswell bay, although the climb out of there is tough. But once you're in Mumbles the rest of the way is dead flat with a tailwind, and you can even go on the cycle path if you want to. I spent most of my time on the main road because you get up to 30 on the flat quite easily.


Bike route 268276 - powered by Bikemap


Longest Ride

This was the longest ride Ive ever done in a day. I think it was about 112 miles in total - there are some little diversions not included on this map, like going to the forestry commission on the way down from Storey Arms to get some water. I must have done this in about may/june 1994 because I was living in Tal-y-bont student halls. I took most of the day really easy and went out to Usk which is a great cycling area. I then worked my way up to Brecon before tackling Storey Arms which is more of a drag from this side, rather than the 'steps' on the other side. I was still pretty fresh when I got back so could have gone a lot further if Id wanted to.


Bike route 268126 - powered by Bikemap


First Time Over Bwlch and Rhigos


The Bwlch and the Rhigos are classic mountain climbs in south Wales, part of the folklore of Welsh cycling. Everyone has a tale of going over the Bwlch and Rhigos! Other than the Black Mountain, they are the closest we've got to proper alpine climbs. Living in Swansea, both are in reach, probably more so than from Cardiff. I decided to give them a go in March 1991. Leaving the student village it was already raining and windy but I pressed on. I think I went through Neath and over the Cimla climb. However, I may gone down to Port Talbot to the very start of the road over the Bwlch. Anyway, I got up the climb OK and then down into Treherbert: now it was time for the Rhigos. By the time I got to the top it was snowing. I was well wrapped up, but the visibility wasnt too good, particularly when I went round a hairpin straight into a gale force wind. I got down to Glyn Neath and had a Mars Bar under the flyover. The climb past seven sisters and down to the Swansea valley was fine, although wet, but coming into Swansea the sun was trying to come out. Through Pontardawe and into Swansea and the sun really was out, it was a lovely day. Hard work, bad weather - a classic Bwlch and Rhigos story.


Bike route 269314 - powered by Bikemap 

No comments:

Post a Comment