Sunday 2 August 2009

First Road Ride

This was my first Sunday morning ride on the road bike in a long time - I cant remember the last time I went out on it. So I spent the night before checking the bike over, making sure it still worked. Given my blow up on thursday, I was a litle nervous. This was the route I was supposed to be doing, but fortunately managed to get lost. And my lowest gear was 39x23, which was not as low as I would have liked.

Distance: 51.6km
Time: 2hrs 16mins


Bike route 267305 - powered by Bikemap


In total the ride was just over 51km and I went a bit wrong in Dinas Powys. Fortunately the barrage was just being lowered as I arrived so there was no hanging about there like last time I went over it.

The route was relatively flat, only one climb that I was worried about - up from Peterstone super Ely to the A48. In days gone by this was an infamous 'col': one time I was dropped when out training but then managed to crawl back on and then drop the rest. But that wasnt going to happen today. For a start, I was on my own.

I took all the hills slowly, just in case. But I had a bottle and a banana, but no money which Id forgotten. The highlight was the section between Sully and Penarth. Id really suffered along here on Thursday. I found out why: it was actually a false flat, so I was able to hammer along here in the big ring. The descent down into Wenvoe and the ride across to Dinas Powys was also quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment